About the Resident Coordinator Office
In Papua New Guinea, the United Nations system is led by the UN Resident Coordinator, with the support of the Resident Coordinator’s Office. The UN Resident Coordinator is the highest-ranking UN representative of the Secretary General in-country and is extended the same status and courtesies as are accorded to a diplomatic mission and head of mission.
The Resident Coordinator leads the UN Country Team which is comprised of the representatives of UN entities active in Papua New Guinea. The UN Country Team is working together to capitalize on the strengths and comparative advantages of the UN System in-country, to increase impact through coherent programmes, as well as to reduce transaction costs for government and the UN.
The Secretary General’s General Assembly Resolution 72/279 on the repositioning of the United Nations Development System mandates bold changes for the emergence of a new generation of Country Teams, centred on a strategic Programme with the Government and led by an impartial, independent and empowered UN Resident Coordinator to deliver on the 2030 Agenda for dignity, prosperity and peace on a healthy planet.
Meet the Team
The Resident Coordinator is supported by the Resident Coordinator's Office, which includes:
- Mr. Dirk Wagener, ad interim Resident Coordinator
- Ms. Kesang Choden Phuntsho, Head of Resident Coordinator's Office
- Vacant, Peace and Development Advisor
- Mr. Rui Flores, Liaison Officer - Buka/Autonomous Region of Bougainville
- Vacant, Peace and Development Officer
- Ms. Constance Vigilance, Economist
- Ms. Shaddie Tapo, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Ms. Cathryn Buis, Partnerships and Development Finance Officer
- Ms. Nicole Jeune, Programme Communications and Advocacy Officer
- Ms. Lillian Siris, Administration Officer/Executive Assistant to the Resident Coordinator